The division of assets is often one of the most contentious areas of a divorce settlement. It also is a source of much anxiety for many of our clients who have been kept in the dark about the financial circumstances of their marriage. At Newton Law Firm, we are aware of the anxiety that can accompany these issues and we take the time to ensure you are fully educated as to your rights and fully informed about your financial holdings. We specialize in empowering women to become financial experts so that they can be an active partner in making decisions about what assets they want to keep and what they are willing to let go.
At Newton Law Firm, we do not work alone. We have well-established relationships with several Cleveland Ohio financial professionals, including financial planners who specialize in working with women after a divorce, property and business appraisers, certified public accountants and tax experts. We work with these specialists regularly and retain them as experts when necessary. We aggressively work to negotiate property settlement issues equitably. Our goal is to prepare you in every financial aspect for a fresh start. Structuring a division of assets is essential for women to understand what their post divorce life will look like—now, five years from now and during retirement.
At Newton Law Firm we can help you with the following:
- Determining what assets qualify as marital property;
- How to protect personal holdings;
- The valuation of unique personal property;
- The division of retirement accounts, pensions and 401(k)s;
- The treatment of inherited funds;
- The tax consequences of certain property divisions;
- The division of marital debt;
- The valuation of your business or that of your spouse
- The valuation of your husband’s stock options and benefits.
- The process of determining whether or not your spouse is hiding assets;
- The settlement of life insurance policies