An annulment is another way to end a marriage in Ohio. It is the least frequently used method to terminate a marriage and may only be used in specific narrowly defined situations.
The most common grounds for annulment are:
- Marrying before the legal age
- Showing that the consent to marry was obtained by fraud or force
- Showing that one of the parties was mentally incapacitated at the time of the marriage
The effect of an annulment is to render the marriage invalid or void from the time of the marriage. Legally, it is as if the marriage never happened. Thus there is no property settlement or property distribution.
At Newton Law Firm we can help you with the following:
- Determine whether an annulment is appropriate for your situation
- Advocate for an annulment in court
- Defend against a motion for an annulment made by your spouse.